Although there are literally countless places to plop down a blanket and enjoy a picnic at the lake, some spots at the lake are ideally suited to al fresco dining.
The Stone Tables picnic area, on the easternmost corner of the park near Buckner Blvd. and Poppy Drive, is one of the most popular picnic spots at the lake. Built in the 1930s the stone tables are in need of repair, which the Conservancy is currently raising funds to complete. The pavilion was restored by the White Rock Lake Conservancy and City of Dallas Park & Rec in 2015. The tables, and adjoining pavilion, can be reserved by calling the city’s facility reservation office at 214-670-8740, or visit the Facility Reservation Office at 8100 Doran Circle at Flag Pole Hill. More information is available at the Dallas Park & Recreation Department’s website.
Dixon Bay, also called Sunset Bay, 830 East Lawther Drive, is near the Stone Tables but sits right on the shore. There is a pier for fishing and lots of waterfowl to watch and feed.
Dreyfuss Point, at 564 E. Lawther Drive, is where the old Dreyfuss Club recreation building was located until it burned down in 2006. It was named after Sol Dreyfuss, a prominent downtown Dallas clothing retailer, and the building was used as a clubhouse for his employees. The site is now a prime picnic spot with an unparalleled view of the lake.
Of course, White Rock Lake is one big playground, with plenty of room to run and natural features that any kid can turn into a playground. But there are several “official” playgrounds dotting the park. Make a day of it and try to hit them all!
Here are the approximate locations for the playgrounds:
- On Winsted near the entrance to the Fish Hatchery & Nature Trail, close to the Spillway.
- Next to the Boat House at T&P Hill (west side of lake)
- At Flagpole Hill (north of lake)
- At the Stone Tables (east side of lake)
- Near Sunset Bay (east side of lake)
The site of the old White Rock Municipal Fish Hatchery near the Spillway, the Old Fish Hatchery Nature Area occupies 50 acres of thick woods at the southwest corner of the park. The area is popular with birdwatchers, but visitors have also spotted coyotes, bobcats, beavers and gray foxes.
The White Rock Lake Dog Park at 8000 E. Mockingbird Lane is Dallas’ first off-leash dog park. The Lighted park features 2 fenced off-leash spots for small & large dogs, trees, benches & a swim area. The park is open Tuesday-Sunday from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. year-round. It is closed on Mondays and during inclement weather.
White Rock Lake visitors can find the following historical markers at the park :
White Rock Dam, Reservoir and Park, at the park entrance at Garland Road and East Lawther Drive. This marker commemorates the damming of White Rock Creek in 1911 and the evolution of White Rock Lake from the city’s main source of drinking water to the urban oasis it is today.
Civilian Conservation Corps Company 2816, at Winfrey Point. This plaque memorializes the work of the CCC, which made significant improvements to the lake during the Depression, using the labor of young, unemployed men. Over a 7-year period, more than 3,000 young men worked at the lake, building Big Thicket, Sunset Hill, Winfrey Point and Dixon’s Bay.
White Rock Pump House, at the Filter Building. This historical marker commemorates the construction of the Pump House, which was built in 1911 to help provide additional water to the city of Dallas.